DAY FOUR: of Altenew Academy One Layer Wonders with Kelly Latevola
A big lesson today with lots of new stuff to try. Loved the masking to combine the images (even though I need more practice placing my images). Loved using the gray Copic markers to shade the interior of the flowers. I think it would have been better if my images weren’t so heavily lined in black but that is what I had to work with. In hind sight I may have been happier using a gray ink to stamp. Loved playing with the exterior shadowing some more. Loved the masking along the outer edges and then blending my blue distress ink. In fact that is probably my favorite part.
What I wasn’t crazy about was my choice of markers. I’ve just started buying them but I think I will be happier with lighter choices in the future (<5). This felt heavy handed to me. But hey. It’s all a learning experience, right? Overall I loved these techniques. I think with lighter colors this would be much better. Oh and I messed up by stamping on water color paper again. So lots of room for improvement on my part but a great lesson.
So glad to be doing more coloring. I need the practice!!! Masking the leaves wasn’t as tedious as I anticipated and it makes a big difference. I admit that I “cheated” on the sentiment. We were supposed to create a faux raised tag but I couldn’t bring myself to color a black rectangle in the center of all that coloring work (even though I think that is such a clever technique!). I also left my background white although I loved the effect we got yesterday with the blending (as compared with day 3). All in all it was a fun experience. I can’t be-leaf we only have one more class left. This is like summer camp for adults!
Last day of class and we are pulling it all together. I decided to combine several of the techniques we learned this week. First I made the faux banner that we learned on the first day. I decided to heat emboss my background in white and then blend on a blue distress ink because I knew I didn’t want to do the water color this time. Unfortunately I forgot to print and mask my flowers first so rather than start from scratch (which I should have done!) I tried to fake it by masking the flowers before heat embossing and then trying to stamp where the masks had been. Unfortunately the stamp I was using was a rubber stamp and not clear so I wasn’t able to line it up correctly, but hey, that’s what the learning process is all about, right?
To color the flowers I wanted to continue experimenting with my Copic markers. I only have a handful so I wanted to try the gray marker for shading the flower the way Kelly taught us. This helped make up for the fact that I don’t own a mid town pink marker. I used the gray marker for the drop shadows as well.
Finally I added my sentiment (which I adore) and then I added the heart (to cover up where I messed up the ink – shhh) and embellished the center of the flowers with matching dots.
This has been a fun class. I’m so glad I participated. There were so many new techniques and mediums that I would not have tried on my own. I look forward to experimenting with them more. Thanks Kelly. For your time, your expertise, your encouragement.