February Project of the Month – Stampin’ Up Occasions Catalog

This month I purchased two Stampin’ Up  die sets from the Occasions Catalog (2017).   One is called Dragonfly Dreams.  It coordinated perfectly with an old Stampin’ Up set that I had called Wonderful Wings.  I heat embossed two dragonflies with gold embossing powder and cut out the third with the Dragonfly Dreams dies (in solid brown and detailed foreground in white).  On the second card I cut out the line of butterflies with the dies and then inlaid it back into the white cardstock with a blue background showing through.  I embellished both cards with rhinestones and sequins and stamped envelopes to match.

 

dscn5239

Stampin’ Up Dragonfly Dreams

 

 

dscn5244

Dragonfly Dreams

 

dscn5246

Wonderful Wings (inside of card)

 

I also purchased the Timeless Tags die set.  I used two of the dies to make Easter eggs (background and foreground).  I debossed the background with a hexagon pattern to give the illusion of chicken wire.  Since I purchased $50 in products I qualified for a free stamp set from the Sale-A-Bration catalog.  I have been in love with the chickens in the Hey, Chick stamp set from the moment I saw them.  They just bring a smile to my face.  I used them for the inside of my Easter cards.  For the coordinating envelopes I stamped the egg from the Hey, Chick set and made myself the sentiment using my Sihouette Mint.

Finally I CASEd a card from Jeanie Stark to make the flower card.  (BTW, her instructions are fantastic!)  Hers is far better but I am still happy with my results.  I embossed the background of this card with polka dots.

dscn5242

 

Advertisements

October Project of the Month – Pop Up Box Card

I modified online instructions so that this pop up box card would have finished dimensions of 4.25 x 5.5 inches (A2).

Each panel ends up being 2 1/8 x 2 3/4.

Box1 (1) Box1 (2)

Instructions:

Cut card stock to 8 3/4 x 5 1/2.

Score the 5 1/2 end at 2 3/4 (half way)

Score the long side at 2 1/8, 4 1/4, 6 3/8 and then 1/4 from the end (for the tab).

Cut half way down each of these new score lines to the score line in the middle.

Cut off the small top tab.

I cut 3 sets of 3 pieces of designer paper.  Each piece was 1 7/8 x 2 1/2.  This covered the three outside pieces of the box, and the three flaps (both sides).

I also cut 2 pieces of designer paper 1 7/8 x 5.25 for the front and back of the back.  I think I might omit the back of the box next time so that I would have a place to write something.  Since I didn’t I added a flower to the front of the closed card and wrote my sentiment there.

I glued all the panels on my box first since it seemed to be easier with the box unfolded.  Just double check that your paper is right side up if it is directional.  I then glued the flap – using double sided tape to make sure it stayed stuck.

I cut two pieces of card stock 2 5/8 x 2 1/2 and scored it 1/4 inch from each side for the supports of my interior pop ups.  I secured these in place near the top of the opening with double sided tape.

Then I dug up all my punches and decorated.  As I went along I kept folding my card to make sure that nothing was going to stick out since I wanted to mail it in an A2 envelope.  Obviously this could be done in many ways depending on what you have on hand and what the occasion.

I thought this would be a daunting project but with the help of online tutorials, and once the dimensions were determined it wasn’t too bad.  I hope you try it!

Painted Wood Signs with the Silhouette Cameo

DSCN3618Valentine’s Day is on the way and I wanted a sign for my front entrance so that is my February Project Of The Month.  There are lots of people doing pretty wood painted signs on Pinterest and I wanted to give it a try.  I found a piece of scrap pine in my garage, cut it in half lengthwise and figured I could get four signs out of it (using front and back of each half).DSCN3617 DSCN3615

First I spray painted a couple of coats of white paint on each side of both boards.  Next I cut out my lettering using the Silhouette Cameo (I’m slightly addicted) and contact paper.  (I thought I was being wise to use the contact paper rather than waste my vinyl, but I have since wondered if some of the problems I encountered might have been eliminated if I had used vinyl instead.)  Following advise from Pinterest posts I then applied Modge Podge (actually it was an old jar of Royal Coat).  This seemed wise since the contact paper wasn’t a tight fit on the wood even though I had sanded it after painting it.

DSCN3624 DSCN3623 DSCN3621 DSCN3619

Once the Modge Podge dried, I painted the boards with two coats of beige paint to match my house.  Here is where the trouble started.  Some posts said to peel off the lettering before the paint completely dried.  Some said to wait.  Waiting is not my strong point so I went ahead and peeled.

(Actually I waited on the Christmas “NOEL” sign and that was even worse.)  The paint wanted to come up with the lettering and I had to work very slowly and carefully to get it off.  My intention was to “distress” the signs by sanding them at the end, but when I started sanding the Easter bunnies the paint started to come right off so I quit and decided not to distress anything.

In fact, for the Halloween witches I just applied black vinyl directly on the painted wood.  Mostly I just wanted the black color for the witches, but as it turned out I liked the crisper lines of the vinyl and it was WAY EASIER than the whole paint and peel routine.

Here are some great resources of more successful sign makers:

http://www.sugarbeecrafts.com/2012/06/pledge-allegiance-sign.html#_a5y_p=1224324

http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2011/11/marshmallow-wonderland-vignette-featuring-janet-from-todays-fabulous-finds-handmade-holidays-project-no-4.html

http://www.houseofhepworths.com/2012/03/29/you-me-custom-artwork-tutorial/