September Project of the Month – MacKenzie-Childs inspired pumpkin

This has been a crazy month with all the hurricane activity (Harvey, Irma, Maria).  Fortunately we were extremely lucky (with Hurricane Irma in eastern Florida) and only lost power for a couple of days.  And the only damage was to our fence.  My heart goes out to those in Texas, Florida and the Caribbean who continue to battle for the basic necessities.

So needless to say this has been a month of limited projects.  I did knit several hats during the storm and the ensuing power outage.  And I was able to keep up with Etsy jewelry orders – at least the filling of the orders – even though the mail was knocked out for over a week.

But now that things are returning to normal I am trying to get into the holiday spirit – at least a little.  I have always been a fan of MacKenzie-Childs so when I saw their pumpkins I knew I wanted to have one.  And by have one, I mean make one.  So I bought an antiqued white pumpkin at Michael’s, along with some black paint and some gold paint and gave it a try.

 

I am please with the results and look forward to enjoying my pumpkin during the Halloween and Thanksgiving seasons.  And NO MORE HURRICANES!!!!

UPDATE:  Encouraged by my first pumpkin success (and a sale at Michael’s) I decided to make a second pumpkin for my mother.  I hope she likes it.

 

Advertisements

April Project of the Month – Card Making

This month I have been experimenting with different card making techniques and trying to “up my game”.

First up I made this tool box using Lawn Fawn Scalloped Edge Pop Up card die set.  This set is fantastic!  I am so glad I splurged on it.  I can see using it in many different variations.  Here I loaded up the box with tools from Stampin’ Up Nailed It stamp and die bundle.  I cut the tools out of yellow card stock with foil tape that I adhered for the metal parts of the tools.  I stamped on the yellow card stock first, adhered the foil tape (bought at Home Goods – I think it is for dryer vents or something) and re-stamped the image. (Hint:  I found I needed to use StazOn Ink to keep the image from smearing.  The banner poles come with the pop up box kit and I improvised the banner with my Stampin’ Up Thoughtful Banners sentiment and coordinating punch.

IMG_3011

Next I CASE’d a few cards that I admired on Pinterest.  The first (inspired by Christy Velasquez – hers used a beautiful blended rainbow background) was die cut on my Silhouette Cameo and mounted on a lime green card base.  I used Avery Elle Double Pierced Rectangle Dies to make the frame.  I triple cut the hello from black cardstock backed with double sided adhesive.

The second card (inspired by Barbara Anders) used the Hero Arts Grateful Leaves layering stamp set and coordinating die.  I stamped the leaf on white cardstock in 3 background colors, stamped again with the black veins and cut and mounted each leaf on a wood embossed white background with foam tape.  I added some gold thread behind the leaves but I admit that the “random” loops of thread are not my forte.  I white heat embossed my sentiment (from Hero Arts Anyone Can Stamp) on black cardstock.  I added coordinating hearts, stars and dots from Stampin’Up.  I really liked how this card turned out!

The next two cards used techniques from Jennifer McGuire.  The sunshine card used a technique she called floating die technique.   Basically I cut the flower using Stampin’ Up Timeless Tags die in green, turquoise and yellow.  I backed the turquoise with double sided tape which made it easier.  I set the cut pieces on my card in one piece and remove all the pieces I didn’t want except the outline.  I added the center in yellow, and the leaves in green and then removed the outline.  The flower appears to be floating.  Again I triple cut the sunshine (from Stampin’Up) on black card stock and layered on the card front.  The rectangle was die cut with the Avery Elle Double Pierced Rectangle Die.  If I tried this technique again I think I would try it with a different die with larger pieces but overall I was happy with the result.

The small (3×3) heart thank you note used Jennifer’s spotlight stamp technique.  This was super simple.  I stamped my card base with the Avery Elle Big Greetings Thank You.  I also stamped some scrap turquoise card stock with the same sentiment.  I punched out the heart and mounted it over the cardstock with dimensionals making sure to line up the sentiment.  I threw on a few water drops from Pretty Pink Posh and done.  Big impact for very little effort.  This technique definitely bears repeating.  Thank you Jennifer McGuire.

Lastly are two cards I made just for fun.  The first one was for my niece who shares my love of succulents.  The Cactus is from Hampton Arts which I tried to color with my Tombow brush pens and the succulents are Spellbinders dies – all from Michael’s.  Proving you don’t need to invest a lot of money to make fun cards (although that hasn’t stopped me).

The small (3 x 3 again) thank you note is printed with my Misti using a layering tulip stamp set from Altenew and Hampton Art Flower Amaze Thank You.

I really need to find a third hobby (my first love is jewelry making and my etsy shop – bydeezyne.etsy.com) because I am running out of card supply storage!