January Project of the Month – Valentines

Working on Valentine cards for next month:


January Project of the Month – Valentine’s Cards

I have been experimenting with lots of different stamps, embossing folders, dies, and specialty papers as well as Silhouette Cameo shapes to create several different Valentine’s Day cards.  Some I liked better than others but here is the lineup for this year.

February Project of the Month – More Mint Stamps and some Valentines

This month I tried a few more Silhouette Mint Stamps.  Both of these feature ClipArt imported directly to the Mint Software from my desktop.  With previous stamps I found it necessary to use Silhouette Studio to first design the stamps (fill text and shapes, size and position artwork, etc.), then save the designs to my desktop and finally import them to the Mint Software.  But here I simply save the pictures I wanted to use and just opened them in the Mint Software.  Easy Peasy.

Mint Stamps 2

I also made some Valentine’s Day Cards.  I used the Silhouette Cameo to cut out the window for the second card and the leaves for the third.   I used a heart border punch from Martha Stewart, some Love stamps from Stampin’ Up, Lovely As a Tree from Stampin’ Up, a Hearts Embossing Folder by Darice and a Polka Dot embossing folder from Lifestyle Crafts.

Painted Wood Signs with the Silhouette Cameo

DSCN3618Valentine’s Day is on the way and I wanted a sign for my front entrance so that is my February Project Of The Month.  There are lots of people doing pretty wood painted signs on Pinterest and I wanted to give it a try.  I found a piece of scrap pine in my garage, cut it in half lengthwise and figured I could get four signs out of it (using front and back of each half).DSCN3617 DSCN3615

First I spray painted a couple of coats of white paint on each side of both boards.  Next I cut out my lettering using the Silhouette Cameo (I’m slightly addicted) and contact paper.  (I thought I was being wise to use the contact paper rather than waste my vinyl, but I have since wondered if some of the problems I encountered might have been eliminated if I had used vinyl instead.)  Following advise from Pinterest posts I then applied Modge Podge (actually it was an old jar of Royal Coat).  This seemed wise since the contact paper wasn’t a tight fit on the wood even though I had sanded it after painting it.

DSCN3624 DSCN3623 DSCN3621 DSCN3619

Once the Modge Podge dried, I painted the boards with two coats of beige paint to match my house.  Here is where the trouble started.  Some posts said to peel off the lettering before the paint completely dried.  Some said to wait.  Waiting is not my strong point so I went ahead and peeled.

(Actually I waited on the Christmas “NOEL” sign and that was even worse.)  The paint wanted to come up with the lettering and I had to work very slowly and carefully to get it off.  My intention was to “distress” the signs by sanding them at the end, but when I started sanding the Easter bunnies the paint started to come right off so I quit and decided not to distress anything.

In fact, for the Halloween witches I just applied black vinyl directly on the painted wood.  Mostly I just wanted the black color for the witches, but as it turned out I liked the crisper lines of the vinyl and it was WAY EASIER than the whole paint and peel routine.

Here are some great resources of more successful sign makers: