July Project of the Month – Christmas cards

This month I have been using the hot, dog days of July (especially here in Florida) to work on some Christmas cards.  Here are some prototypes I have made for this season. I am planning to make several of each by time Christmas rolls around.

The first uses dies from Penny Black and an embossed brick background from Darice. This was super easy and I think it will be even easier if I use double sided tape for the dies before cutting.

IMG_2267

The second is a string of lights by Lawn Fawn. These were very tricky to get on the string and the embossing folder I have is only 4 1/2 inches wide so I had to fudge the background. Added to that is the fact that the glitter paper I have is super hard to die cut. Still I love the effect.

IMG_2273

My third card combined several different stamp and die sets. The Jar of Love is a great set from Stampin’Up. The tree inside is from a Papertrey Ink set called Joyful Christmas.  I added Wink of Stella to the tree but it doesn’t show in the photo.  The bow is from Penny Black and the embossed background is from Darice.  This background is bricks but I also made a card using a snowflake background

IMG_2270

Next up is a card I made that was inspired by Tricia Barber for Reverse Confetti. They make two great dies that say hello and thanks. But since I wanted to do a Christmas card I used three separate dies (1×3, 3×3, and Joy from Stampin’Up).  I used the same technique as Tricia Barber in that I first glued 1/2″ strips of card stock to copy paper. I then cut the three dies out of the striped cardstock as well as out of white cardstock. I then “puzzled” the two die cut pieces together to form two cards. Lots of fun but labor intensive. I probably won’t be making many of these but I enjoyed trying the technique.

The next card uses an ornament die cut from Stampin’Up. I layered two pieces of cardstock with one layer of red foil.  I used double sided tape on the cardstock before die cutting which helped with the layering. I actually used some foil vent tape on card stock for the tops of the ornament because it cut LOTS easier than glitter paper or silver foil paper. I added some silver string and glued it to the embossed ornament background.

IMG_2268

The next card was super easy. It is simply a piece of DSP cut in a 2×2″ square. Two pieces of 1/4 x 2″ red cardstock for the ribbon and the bow die by Penny Black. Easy Peasy.  And really just made with scraps.

IMG_2271

Lastly (so far) is really Christmas in color only but I soooo wanted to try this new orchild set by Stampin’Up.  I heat embossed the different orchid layers with white heat embossing on red card stock then die cut.  I didn’t have a branch so I die cut that with my Silhouette Cameo. I then layered everything on an embossed brick background and added red sequins.

IMG_2274

As you can probably tell I make most of these to either try out new stamp sets (and old favorites), to use dies I love or to try out new techniques. It is a fun way to try new things on cards that will actually be needed and it is a good project for hot Florida days.   Let me know if you have any favorites!